Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Expensive Mistake

For Christmas, as we were in Punta Cana and since we had no famility around we decided to invite a group of people we had met on the trip to have supper with us in our Hacienda's restaurant. Being in a festive mood I suggested to Mark that we purchase a bottle of champagne to ring in the event. Not being a huge champagne drinker I though this might lead the other couples we were with to think we were in some way posh, even possibly sophisticated.

But of course, my complete lack of mathematical ability, combined with my smug happiness from sitting in the sun on the beach all day had shorted out the logic circuits in my brain. So when I looked at the menu and saw the champagne I wanted was listed in Dominican Dollars, I didn't calculate it right into American money. So a bottle of champagne that I thought was going to be $40-50 turned out to be $130. When Mark glared at me, I lifted my glass, rubbed my belly vigorously and proudly pronounced it the BEST DAMN champagne in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

only my wife can ring up a $130 bar tab at an all-inclusive resort. Two words, High Maintenance