Monday, March 06, 2006

Books You Should Read

I always have this internal top 5 list of books going through my head. That way if I am ever wandering the street and a reporter should happen upon me and ask, 'What are your favorite books?' I can anwer with authority. However, the sticky point is the my ego wishes to appear cultured, but my inner crap lover just wants trash, trash and more trash - what is a girl to do? Blog about it of course. So here is my current top 5. Proceed with care.

1. A Year in Provence - Peter Mayle, good food, good wine, what more do I need to say.
2. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - so beautifully written, you almost forget this is a fantasy book.
3. The Big Nowhere - James Ellroy, everyone loves LA Confidential, but this is my favourite of his LA Trilogy. I strongly believe he created the character of Ed Exely in LA Confidential because he found that his main charater in this book wasn't a match for Dudley Smith.
4. John Adams - David McCullough, during his time he was often overshadowed by Jefferson, who after reading this you will agree, was the lesser of the two.
5. The Southern Vampire Series - Charlaine Harris, soon to be a TV series by Allan Ball creator of Six Feet Under, and one of those books that will get you hot under the collar - in a good way!

1 comment:

Squirrelly Girly said...

I too always want to appear cultured and well read. But frankly, I'm always trolling the supernatural/scifi section for the next Charlaine Harris or Kelley Armstrong. Besides, anyone who really knows me would now that I was just posing anyways if I blurted out "War and Peace! It's a stunningly complex look at human nature and the evolution of a social concience!"